Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Re: How to get to the helppage of shiftwidth in options.txt?

hi,

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 9:02 AM, Gary Johnson <garyjohn@spocom.com> wrote:
> On 2015-03-29, Tim Chase wrote:
>> [side rant]
>>
>> On 2015-03-29 18:28, toothpik wrote:
>> > let mapleader = ','
>>
>> I've never understood why people remap the exceptionally useful
>> functionality of "," to become the map-leader. I use the native ","
>> and ";" all the time in conjunction with f/F/t/T.
>>
>> :help ;
>> :help ,
>>
>> If one isn't going to keep the single-key "\", at least choose
>> something that has more than one key providing the same
>> functionality, such as "+" & <enter>
>>
>> Or, just map them straight out:
>>
>> :nnoremap <f8> :cn<cr>
>> :nnoremap <f7> :cN<cr>
>>
>> without bothering to wrap them in an extra mapping merely to create
>> the mappings.
>
> Because I don't need the functionality of ',' very often and I do
> need some sort of prefix/leader for mappings. I can easily type ','
> followed by any other key. To type '\', I have to lift my right
> hand off the home row and stretch my pinkie to the right. Then
> before I type a right-hand key, I have to put my right hand back on
> the home row and strike that next key before timeoutlen expires.
> That's too much effort and likelihood of error for a mapping I use
> often. As for using the function keys: I have enough trouble
> touch-typing the keys in the number row. Touch-typing function keys
> is right out.
>
> For me, the functionality and usability I gain by using ',' as a map
> leader greatly exceeds that lost by not having the bare
> functionality of ','.

I also have ',' as my leader key, and I find I can still use it after f/t/F/T
There is just a lag between the moment I press ',' and the cursor
movement, unless I immediately type another command after hitting ','.
This made me realise that if that command started like a mapping of
mine it would not do what I expect :)

nico

>
> Regards,
> Gary

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: