Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Re: Setting the TEXINPUTS and BIBINPUTS varibles for latex inside vim/gVim

I apologise if my question seems a bit naive, but what do you mean by "setting the variables in ~/.profile".

When I open my .profile I only see the following line "export PATH="/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH""

Do I just add the line and save?
let g:Tex_TEXINPUTS = '/usr/local ..."

Thanks a lot
J

On Wednesday, April 3, 2013 at 9:39:09 PM UTC+2, Christoph Wiesmeyr wrote:
> > Despite what you read on the web, ~/.bashrc is not the right place
> >
> > to set environment variables. For one thing, they won't be
> >
> > available to programs launched from Vim with ":!command". For
> >
> > another, they won't be available to programs started from your
> >
> > window manager, as gvim often is.
> >
> >
> >
> > Where you _should_ put environment variables is changing. In the
> >
> > beginning, personal environment variables were set in ~/.profile.
> >
> > Period. Then bash came along and offered ~/.bash_profile as an
> >
> > alternative. Now I understand that Ubuntu recommends putting them
> >
> > in ~/.environment. I believe that other desktop environments have
> >
> > their own pet places. For the time being, however, I think that
> >
> > ~/.profile or ~/.bash_profile will still be sourced when you log in
> >
> > and before your window manager is launched, which is when you want
> >
> > them set so that they are available to programs such as gvim.
> >
>
> Setting the variables in ~/.profile solved the problem for me, now everything works like a charm. Thank you very much for your detailed explanation, I really appreciate this.
>
>
>
> Best regards,
> Christoph

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: