Monday, March 30, 2015

Re: How to get to the helppage of shiftwidth in options.txt?

On 2015-03-29, Tim Chase wrote:
> [side rant]
>
> On 2015-03-29 18:28, toothpik wrote:
> > let mapleader = ','
>
> I've never understood why people remap the exceptionally useful
> functionality of "," to become the map-leader. I use the native ","
> and ";" all the time in conjunction with f/F/t/T.
>
> :help ;
> :help ,
>
> If one isn't going to keep the single-key "\", at least choose
> something that has more than one key providing the same
> functionality, such as "+" & <enter>
>
> Or, just map them straight out:
>
> :nnoremap <f8> :cn<cr>
> :nnoremap <f7> :cN<cr>
>
> without bothering to wrap them in an extra mapping merely to create
> the mappings.

Because I don't need the functionality of ',' very often and I do
need some sort of prefix/leader for mappings. I can easily type ','
followed by any other key. To type '\', I have to lift my right
hand off the home row and stretch my pinkie to the right. Then
before I type a right-hand key, I have to put my right hand back on
the home row and strike that next key before timeoutlen expires.
That's too much effort and likelihood of error for a mapping I use
often. As for using the function keys: I have enough trouble
touch-typing the keys in the number row. Touch-typing function keys
is right out.

For me, the functionality and usability I gain by using ',' as a map
leader greatly exceeds that lost by not having the bare
functionality of ','.

Regards,
Gary

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: