Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Managing plugins across multiple Vim versions

I would like some help configuring my plugins with an old version of Vim. Here's the situation:

I've set up a dotfiles repo and am now syncing it over three different machines. On the whole, this is great, and it's enabled me to try things out in my vimrc wherever I am without losing anything from one system to another.

I've been using Vundle as well, which integrates really well with this approach... except for one problem:

The main system I use at work is stuck with Vim 7.2. I asked IT to upgrade and they said "Why would we do that? It's just vi!"

Unfortunately, vim-ruby does not get along well with Vim 7.2 - every time I open a ruby file, I get a screen full of error messages.

It leaves me wondering if vim-ruby is even doing anything for me. I can't tell what it's providing above and beyond vim's native ruby support. I have noticed weird behavior with indentation, % matching, and regular expressions, though.

I did find this patch for vim-ruby, but I'm not sure how to install it in a way that won't interfere with vundle:

https://gist.github.com/lacostenycoder/cbc380ec7597abf264ff7b79e042f159

Any suggestions? Is there a way to make things work on this one machine without interfering with my other systems? Am I better off without vim-ruby? Am I better off without Vundle?

Thanks for your help.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: