Friday, April 21, 2017

Vim documentation index.txt using word "buffer" for the word "register"

Dear All,

I'm preparing a presentation of Vim's essentials hence I'm extensively browsing through Vim's documentation. Unless I'm mistaken it seems that in the index.txt file the word 'buffer' is quite often used in lieu of 'register'. I found this by chance while I was looking for the word 'buffer' (:help index :set hls /buffer).

For instance:

|C| ["x]C 2 change from the cursor position to the end
of the line, and N-1 more lines [into
buffer x]; synonym for "c$"

Now if I follow the tag |C| (positioning my cursor on it, then typing CTRL-]) I read in change.txt:

*C*
["x]C Delete from the cursor position to the end of the
line and [count]-1 more lines [into register x], and
start insert. Synonym for c$ (not |linewise|).

The notation '"x' unambiguously refers to 'register x'. So in the index.txt file I think that one should read 'register' in lieu of 'buffer' while the text in change.txt uses the word 'register' correctly.

This is mostly the case in section 2 (Normal mode) and once in section 2.4 (gp command). In other places (section 5 EX commands) the word 'buffer' seems to be always used appropriately.

These small discrepancies might confuse new users. Indeed clear vocabulary and precise definitions are important in the learning process.

I'm too new to Vim and far from an expert but I'd be very happy to contribute by reviewing the index.txt file and proposing an update with the word changes. It seems not too difficult: everywhere one reads '["x]' one should also read '[into register x]'. However I'd prefer to pass my updates to someone with expertise and authority to review my proposed changes.

Note: I found it in Vim version 7.4 and 8.0

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
René

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: