Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Re: already at oldest change - how to suppress this message

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 10:18 AM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@256bit.org> wrote:
> Hi Jim!
>
> On Mo, 24 Apr 2017, Jim Wilmore wrote:
>
>> I recently got a new laptop, so I decided I would install gvim80 after using gvim73 for many years.
>> As an old Unix user from the 70s onward, I have quite a lot of customization, and when I discovered Gvim, my customization quadrupled.
>> I finally have my new machine running gvim about the same as before. I had to set the guifont, but most everything else worked out. However, I keep getting the message "Already at oldest change" when I open a file. I am guessing this is related either to version control (which I handle independently when I need it) or some sort of temporary backup file (which I have turned off, at least in previous customizations).
>> How do I turn off this message?!? I have browsed through the possible settings, and have found nothing yet. Help, please...
>
> Looks like some configuration is issuing an undo command when it
> shouldn't. Check your autocommands or your plugins. Also see the faq:
> https://vimhelp.appspot.com/vim_faq.txt.html#faq-2.5
>
>
> Best,
> Christian

Yes, "Already at oldest change" is a message from the Normal-mode u
(undo) command or the :u[ndo] Ex-command when they can't do anything
because there is no earlier stored history for them to go to. I find
that message extremely useful when I try to (manually) go back in
history and nothing happens.

See also the 'history' and 'viminfo' options.

Best regards,
Tony.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: