Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Re: Managing plugins across multiple Vim versions

On 2017-04-19, Mike Ciul wrote:
> I would like some help configuring my plugins with an old version
> of Vim. Here's the situation:
>
> I've set up a dotfiles repo and am now syncing it over three
> different machines. On the whole, this is great, and it's enabled
> me to try things out in my vimrc wherever I am without losing
> anything from one system to another.
>
> I've been using Vundle as well, which integrates really well with
> this approach... except for one problem:
>
> The main system I use at work is stuck with Vim 7.2. I asked IT to
> upgrade and they said "Why would we do that? It's just vi!"
>
> Unfortunately, vim-ruby does not get along well with Vim 7.2
> - every time I open a ruby file, I get a screen full of error
> messages.

> Any suggestions? Is there a way to make things work on this one
> machine without interfering with my other systems?

I also distribute my configuration files to all the machines I use.
I don't know what exactly you should do for vim-ruby, but I have
a similar problem with netrw: the latest version that I keep under
~/.vim doesn't work with all the versions of Vim that I use.
I solved the problem by installing netrw in its own directory,
~/.vim/netrw, and then conditionally including that directory in my
'runtimepath' by putting this in my ~/.vimrc:

" The version of netrw installed locally needs vim 7.4.1557 or
" later:"
if v:version > 704 || (v:version == 704 && has("patch1557"))
let &rtp = $HOME."/.vim/netrw,".&rtp
endif

In that way, recent versions of Vim see the latest netrw early in
'runtimepath' and use that version, while older versions of Vim use
the version of netrw that was installed in their $VIMRUNTIME.

HTH,
Gary

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: