Monday, November 12, 2018

How to use file explorer on my local gVim to access remote file system?

Hi,
I am using latest gVim v8.1.0513 nightly build on Windows 7, both 64-bit.

I have several Linux machines accessible using ssh. Now I am using local machine's Vim through Putty on every machine. But there are several problems, there are different versions on Vim (some pretty old one) and there are different vim settings, different syntax highlighting etc and there is sometimes even lack of responsiveness and similar.

On my Windows I have gVim customized to my wishes.

From my Windows PC's gVim I would like to access files on remote Linux machines, edit and save. On my PC I have created text file with the following commands:

let g:netrw_silent = 1
let g:netrw_scp_cmd = "\"C:\\Programs\\PuTTY\\pscp.exe\" -pw mypassword "
e scp://myuserid@192.168.1.20//path/to/file.txt

When I open a gVim on Windows I can source that file:
:source commands.vim

and file.txt from remote machines is opened, I can edit it and save changes it works perfectly for individual file.

Now to the problem. I have hundreds of files that I need to edit. So it would be way more convenient to open file explorer for remote file system.
On my local machine to access my local PC's files I can open file explorer with command: :E
How to do this for remote machine?

I looked into commands.vim and changed the last line to:
e scp://myuserid@192.168.1.20//path/

but I get the error:
**error** (netrw) your g:netrw_list_cmd is empty; perhaps ssh is not executable on your system

Any idea how to use file explorer on remote machine accessed from my local gVim?

Thanks

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: