Saturday, November 17, 2018

Re: :make not working for me

On 2018-11-17, rob wrote:
> Hi.  I'm interested in trying the internal compiling option for Go.
>
> Vim 7.4.  Ubuntu 16.04 amd64
>
> go 1.11.2
>
> I'm using the version of vim that gets installed by apt.
>
> When I type :make from a window showing a buffer containing Go code,
> I get this error:
>
> /bin/bash: go: command not found
>
> Yet, I have no trouble compiling from a command prompt.  The versions
> of go not installed thru apt are placed into
>
> /usr/local/go/bin/go.
>
> I suspect that this would be fixed by me symlinking the go binary
> somewhere, but I don't know where.
>
> Thanks for any help.

It's odd that your go installer would leave the go binary in
/usr/local/go/bin instead of moving or copying it to /usr/local/bin.
It seems as though the installation might not have been configured
properly or didn't finish. But I don't know enough about your go
installer to suggest how to fix that, so the next best thing would
be to do as you suspected and symlink the go binary to
/usr/local/bin, e.g.,

sudo ln -s /usr/local/go/bin/go /usr/local/bin

or perhaps

sudo ln -s /usr/local/go/bin/* /usr/local/bin

if /usr/local/go/bin contains more than just the go binary. Note
that I used sudo because /usr/local/bin usually requires the user to
have root permissions to write to it.

It's also odd that you can compile from the command prompt but not
from Vim. I'm still trying to think of an explanation for that.

Regards,
Gary

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: