Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Re: Typing Persian (Farsi) in Vim



On 27 Nov 2018, at 23:17, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@moolenaar.net> wrote:


On Monday, April 30, 2018 at 9:58:54 AM UTC+2, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
Felipe Vieira wrote:

I have tried the above solution and the following:

http://vim.1045645.n5.nabble.com/arabic-font-td1161759.html

Still can't get Farsi to work. I get those "<200d>" characters.

I have tried gvim with

   :set guifont=Courier\ New\ 10

For instance.

Website for example:

http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/persian-alphabet.html

It displays nicely on my firefox.

The Farsi support in Vim is outdated.  It doesn't work with Unicode.
We are waiting for someone to re-implement it, or merge it with the
Arabic support.

I also wonder why there is no option to disable farsi or arabic on vim
compile. The terminal I use supports bidi text, so in order to build
the vim correctly for my terminal, I have to change config and
features file in the source to disable farsi and arabic, which is
inconvenient if I want to keep updating the vim.

What do you mean?  There are both options and features to enable/disable
Arabic and Farsi.  E.g. there is FEAT_ARABIC and the 'arabic' option.


I mean while compiling there is no flag for disabling 'farsi' or 'arabic'. I know I can change the source code for FEAT_ARABIC (which is how I do it now) but that's not the way to go for long run in a case vim gets updated. The reason I want to disable them using flags is because I use the 'huge' flag for building the vim from the source. Actually someone suggested this flag a year ago using a patch but it didn't went through:


I think adding the disable flag for these features would be helpful since many text engines do the bidi rendering nowadays and enabling these features is just useless and for my case destructive.

Bahman


No comments: