Saturday, November 17, 2018

Re: :make not working for me

I can answer that.

I know how to set the $PATH in my .bashrc to include the go binaries. 
These instructions are on the golang website.

--rob

On 11/17/18 3:27 PM, Gary Johnson wrote:
> On 2018-11-17, rob wrote:
>> Hi.  I'm interested in trying the internal compiling option for Go.
>>
>> Vim 7.4.  Ubuntu 16.04 amd64
>>
>> go 1.11.2
>>
>> I'm using the version of vim that gets installed by apt.
>>
>> When I type :make from a window showing a buffer containing Go code,
>> I get this error:
>>
>> /bin/bash: go: command not found
>>
>> Yet, I have no trouble compiling from a command prompt.  The versions
>> of go not installed thru apt are placed into
>>
>> /usr/local/go/bin/go.
>>
>> I suspect that this would be fixed by me symlinking the go binary
>> somewhere, but I don't know where.
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
> It's odd that your go installer would leave the go binary in
> /usr/local/go/bin instead of moving or copying it to /usr/local/bin.
> It seems as though the installation might not have been configured
> properly or didn't finish. But I don't know enough about your go
> installer to suggest how to fix that, so the next best thing would
> be to do as you suspected and symlink the go binary to
> /usr/local/bin, e.g.,
>
> sudo ln -s /usr/local/go/bin/go /usr/local/bin
>
> or perhaps
>
> sudo ln -s /usr/local/go/bin/* /usr/local/bin
>
> if /usr/local/go/bin contains more than just the go binary. Note
> that I used sudo because /usr/local/bin usually requires the user to
> have root permissions to write to it.
>
> It's also odd that you can compile from the command prompt but not
> from Vim. I'm still trying to think of an explanation for that.
>
> Regards,
> Gary
>

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: