Thursday, February 23, 2012

Re: Check if file is being edited with ++ff

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 11:24:41AM -0800, Ben Fritz wrote:
> I've got a BufReadPost autocmd in my .vimrc which will automatically
> reload a file in DOS or Unix fileformat using e ++ff=dos or e +
> +ff=unix if it is in mixed line-ending format, depending on whether
> there are more lines with or without a trailing ^M.

> It works well, but I sometimes want to force it to load one way or the
> other, with an explicit :e ++ff=unix for example.

> So, I'm trying to modify my autocmd to only act if I did not
> explicitly specify the fileformat on the command-line. I've tried
> using @:, but that does not seem to get updated until after my autocmd
> fires. I've tried using getcmdline(), but that is invalid (and returns
> an empty string) because the command-line is not currently being
> edited when the autocmd fires.

> My only other though is to set up a cnoremap <expr> mapping which maps
> <CR> to a function which stores off the getcmdline() result to a
> variable, then returns "\<CR>", so that it doesn't actually do
> anything but allows access to the currently executing command.

> I suspect this will work, but is there a better way?

i always tend to oversimplify things, and i like to avoid
autocommands and plugins -- what i would do is add a variable to
your .vimrc that would set or not the ff setting autocommand
depending on the value of the variable -- then i would make two
copies of all my vim start scripts, one to allow the
autocommand, the other to force the ff setting you want

sc

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: