Thursday, March 29, 2012

Re: cmdwin is passing strange

On 03/29/12 09:16, Ben Fritz wrote:
> On Thursday, March 29, 2012 4:09:12 AM UTC-5, howardb21 wrote:
>> Would it not be more reasonable, to put the user in : mode, if he gets there
>> from the : command line?
>
> Maybe insert mode would be reasonable. But I like the current functionality better. My uses of command-line mode are usually:
>
> 1. start a command line
> 2. realize I need to do complicated edits or go back to the middle somewhere
> 3. open the command window and execute 2 or 3 normal-mode commands
> 4. run the command
>
> If I want insert mode, I'll just stay on the command-line. If
> I use the command window, I usually want the power of normal
> mode. Occasionally I just want insert-mode completion, but
> that's relatively rare.

My usage pattern is much like Ben's, so defaulting to Insert mode
would just mean one more step of hitting <esc> when I got there.
Most often it stems from some :substitute command where I
either need to globally change a term that appears multiple
times, or I want to duplicate something (such as when writing a
regexp for finding things in particular columns of delimited
data) where the ability to yank and paste to/from various
registers saves a world of time.

My other big use-case is using "q:" (or slash or question-mark
for those histories) and then searching backwards for a command
to execute (after optionally editing it). And here again,
starting in Insert mode would only slow me down with the need to
hit <esc> before using / or ? to find the line I need.

-tim

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: