Friday, March 30, 2012

Re: :help WITHOUT split screen

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 30/03/2012 13:39, Guido Van Hoecke wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 13:51, Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz
> <vim@numerixtechnology.de> wrote:
>> This is one of my biggest bug bears and it drives me absolutely nuts:
>>
>> Is there a way to prevent :help from splitting the window?!
>> I never, ever want a horizontal split. I'd just like to see the help
>> text in a new tab.
>
> Same here
>
>>
>>
>> I mostly use gvim, sometimes vim. So I need a solution that works in
>> both cases.
>>
>
> I have this command abbreviation:
>
> " h open help in new tab
> cabbrev h tab help
>
> So whenever I ask help with ':h' it just opens a new tab with it.

Maybe it's just me but if I type:

`:tab help topic` that works but the above abbreviation doesn't do anything.

Vim 7.2.445 huge with GTK2 GUI & the same console version on Debian
Squeeze + Vim 7.3.462 huge no GUI & MacVim 7.3.353 huge with MacVim GUI
on OS X.

Cheers,

Phil...

- --
But masters, remember that I am an ass.
Though it be not written down,
yet forget not that I am an ass.

Wm. Shakespeare - Much Ado About Nothing


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG/MacGPG2 v2.0.17 (Darwin)
Comment: §auto-key-locate cert pka ldap hkp://keys.gnupg.net
Comment: GPGTools - http://gpgtools.org
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJPdbCIAAoJEKpMeDHWT5ADxAsH/iPqXFjeRiJMGRHRLhw6EdEB
n3seaTxR1wxgVOk3FGoZb7x+erPeq+ygHtu6FqdTP+eMvnYBGNlKSOtcRIDn/I8S
wHfsOiWz2PTPf3WFZDc772i/RwlU0ASnlgGj7KniRZY3AO4CnKc6EjJglyIX1FJK
Jgp9X0xvYRVmFDCU7DcSenspU41IoncbA/MZMDd/tTW0VX7pzvngd4JU8TQWYPbA
yCgIeNTp187I+sO/tZmXjVGlDpVnfb67w7uCan44vEOadwKm0m6U7LUURqXcsSyp
+PxQG0VGH2K3NyXRnkzFcXTJSSo/F4sHARyK8Pdz2e/j1vkwsGKIUaH8BzqRW20=
=4SIZ
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: