Monday, April 30, 2012

notice bug in new version of gvim windows.......

When I start gvim with a file name

Gvim h:\bin\pcalc.pl,
if I edit another file by name, it references the same directory...

However, if I use UNC name,
Gvim \\ishtar\home\linda\bin\pcalc.pl

to edit the same file, my current directory isn't set correctly.

I know I used to have my own script to edit files that worked
in this situation, but I don't know if vim has always been broken this way
or it is a recent development -- maybe only on the 'x64 version

(Running vi 7.33 (2010 Aud 15, compiled Mar 25 2012 (with +perl -- though
it doesn't work with the current version of perl (5.12) as pointed to in the
email...

It seems it uses a fixed version number rather than a generic perl.dll....


Maybe it would be better to use dynamic loading, (like a 'dll') and
call it perl.dll, (as a pointer to some more specific version ... gee this
sounds similar ... I know I've seen this scheme before...)...
but then the loader can cal the dll to find out what functions are
available or
what level - and auto work with a variety of versions rather than being
statically coded to a 'dynamic' library, (!?!talk about missing the
point!)...

Oh,,, I remember the scheme...

but it was slightly different

libXXX.so =link-> lib.so.X =link->lib.so.X.Y

I think I remember it from some system that I worked on 20 or more years
ago... unix or something ...come to think of it... I think some modern
*nixes have
similar...linux or something...

Wow.... Maybe windows could learn about using non-versioned names
(just like
linux could learn better about dynamic runtime configuration based on
available .so's, by using dlopen rather than relying on do-or-die
initial loads....

Oh the promise of computers becoming *easier* to use -- instead...
theyv'e gone in the opposite direction due to industry failure to
preserve or value institutional knowledge...between generations...





--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: