Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Re: Plugin manager with dependencies and selective bundle load

I have been playing around with vim addon manager.
I think it is really good, but not sure it suits all my needs.
For the runtime path, it is good you can set it manually using ActiveAddon.
But I think is not possible to load the plugins on demand, like in tplugin, which is a feature I really love.
Another doubt I have is, if I have a plugin/bundle, which hasnt been installed by VAM, it is possible to activate it?
for instance imagine in the VAM install folder I have a folder with the name myPlugin.
Which is a plugin I am developing, it is yet not under control by any CVS. I just want to load it as any other addon.
So if I make:
ActivateAddons myPlugin
I got the next error:
No repository location info known for plugin myPlugin.

Finally vim crashes almost after any add on install.
Wondering if it is because of the version of git we have here. Dont know.

Thanks.

2012/4/23 Marc Weber <marco-oweber@gmx.de>
You missed github.com/MarcWeber/vim-addon-manager which adds these
features:
 + maintained pool of packages (you can opt-out or provide your own
   one)
 + automatic loading of dependency, they are listed in a
   addon-info.json file
 + loading plugins at runtime (if supported by the plugin)
 + supports many VCS systems: git,svn,hg,...
   This implies that git submodules are no longer used
 + it gets almost all directory layouts right because the pool is
   maintained and the pool contains some correcting code for those
   plugins.

issues with vim-addon-manager: because you don't have git submodules
reinstalling will always fetch latest versions always - which has not
been a problem yet - but could be a risk.

Order of loading should be preserved beacuse you list names of the
plugins to be activated in your .vimrc

You also missed vundle (which is similar to pathogen, a nice simple
solution if you want to install github based plugins only)

There is also vimana, ruby scripts installing addons.

And there is plain old :h GetLatestVimScripts which only gets updates
from www.vim.org (AFAIK).

Which is best? I don't know. I wrote vim-addon-manager because I want to
serve the community: I want them to notice if they use an old upstream -
and I was looking for a way to distribute my own code without copy
pasting or writing dozens of lines about how to install each one and
where to get dependencies. In most cases this is a warning you can
ignore and still get whatever you want.

future:
I'd like to move some of the information found in
vim-addon-manager-know-repository to the official website (such as
deprecation warnings or hinting that alternative plugins may serve you
better for whatever reason)
I dream about replacing www.vim.org by a simple "enter your github,
bitbucket, .." url and be done. www.vim.org should poll for updates etc.
I just haven't had time to implement a prototype yet.

HTH
Marc Weber

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php



--
Un saludo
Best Regards
Pablo Giménez

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: