Thursday, May 24, 2012

Re: Can vim be made to start with selected files already open?

On 05/24/2012 07:14 AM, Eric Weir wrote:
>
> After starting vim I take a bit of time to load the base files
> I normally work with. It would be a minor convenience if vim
> could be made to start with these files already loaded.

There are lots of ways, and I'm sure others might suggest some
of them. I routinely save my state before exiting Vim using
something like this::

:mksession ~/SomeSessionName.vim

When I restart Vim, I manually reload my session like this::

:source ~/SomeSessionName.vim

On the command line of Vim, you can specify a file to "source",
so you could do::

vim -S ~/SomeSessionName.vim

If you get your set of open files and windows the way you like
them, you can save them with :mksession, then you can launch Vim
with ``-S`` to reload that sessions, using whatever means best
suits you and your environment (e.g., a shell script, alias,
batch file, desktop shortcut, etc.).

Michael Henry

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: