Monday, November 25, 2013

Re: How to search for alternatives in :tag /pattern ?

On lun., 2013-11-25 at 11:35 -0800, Gary Johnson wrote:
> On 2013-11-25, Benji Fisher wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 8:31 AM, Micha Moskovic wrote:
> >
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have the following problem.
> > I am editting a file for which a ctags file has been generated. This
> > file contains two tags, "tag1" and "tag2". With ":tag tag1" and ":tag
> > tag2", I can jump to "tag1" and "tag2" respectively. Now suppose I would
> > like to add both "tag1" and "tag2" to the tag stack. According to help,
> > I can do ":tag /pattern" to search for a pattern, and indeed
> > ":tag /tag." works as expected. However, I would like to search for
> > "tag1" and "tag2" only and so I tried ":tag /tag1\|tag2". However,
> > contrary to my expectations, this does not work!
> >
> > Am I doing something wrong?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Micha
> >
> >
> > I tried it, read the error message, and found that
> >
> > :tag /tag1\\|tag2
> >
> > does the job. I did not find any mention of this under
> >
> > :help :tag
> > :help tag-regexp
> >
> > so maybe this is not documented. (Maybe I should try upgrading. I am still
> > using 7.3.646.)
>
> I think this is covered in ":help :bar".
>
> '|' by itself would be a command separator. '\|' tells the
> command-line parser that you want a real '|' in the command. But
> you don't want just '|', you want '\|', so you need the first '\' to
> be itself, then the '\|' to be replaced by '|' when the string is
> given to the :tag command, which then sees '\|'.

Thanks to both of you, I indeed needed to escape once more.

Regards,
Micha

> Regards,
> Gary
>
> --


--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments: