Sunday, December 29, 2013

Re: encoding=utf-8 breaks my alt key on Windows

On 29/12/13 10:34, Thijs Brobbel wrote:
> Ah, ok, thanks. I already thought it was something like that. I
> thought I tried the other way around, but I missed that somehow.
>
> I agree that not every plugin should just change the encoding like
> that, however, the plugin advocates itself as a set of "sane defaults"
> for VIM. Setting encoding to utf-8, instead of latin1, actually makes
> more sense to me ;) I'll make sure that encoding=utf-8 will be the
> very first thing that happens.
>

encoding=utf-8 is a "sane default" but it's no business of a plugin to
set it, if only because plugins are sourced near the end of startup, and
in more or less random order (if you're lucky they will be sourced in
alphabetical order; this is the case on Linux but I'm less sure of
Windows). A script advocating "sane defaults" should not be written as a
plugin, but as something that you can source from somewhere near the top
of your vimrc. The vimrc_example.vim for example, sets IMHO quite a lot
of very sane defaults, but it is not a plugin.


Best regards,
Tony.
--
Are you perchance running on a 64-bit machine?
-- Larry Wall in <199711102149.NAA16878@wall.org>

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments: