Friday, December 27, 2013

Re: Why is `:f` abbrev of `:file` and not of (much more useful) `:find`?

On 27/12/13 13:23, Tim Chase wrote:
> On 2013-12-27 00:03, Gary Johnson wrote:
>>>> Do you think Bram would be open to changing the `:f` vim
>>>> default?
>>>
>>> I'm pretty certain that it wouldn't be entertained
>>
>> I agree with Tim on this, plus I'll add that I never use :find.
>> For simple projects, everything is in the current directory. For
>> projects with more complicated directory structures, I use tags.
>
> I'll add
>
> :vimgrep /pattern/ **/*.py
>
> to my list of tools that I reach for before :find (most of my code
> being Python; adjust accordingly for your file-extension(s) of
> choice).
>
> It's fast, it works cross-platform (grepping across files &
> directories on Win32 without add-on unix-like utilities is a mess),
> and usually I am looking for something in particular, not just a
> filename.
>
> -tim
>
>

And I'll add that :vimgrep is guaranteed to work the same way in Vim on
all platforms, and with the same regular-expression syntax as is used
elsewhere in Vim (and documented in detail in the Vim help), while I'm
never exactly sure how regexes work in which version of grep.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
After all, what is your hosts' purpose in having a party? Surely not for
you to enjoy yourself; if that were their sole purpose, they'd have simply
sent champagne and women over to your place by taxi.
-- P. J. O'Rourke

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments: