Friday, December 27, 2013

Re: Why is `:f` abbrev of `:file` and not of (much more useful) `:find`?

On 2013-12-27 00:03, Gary Johnson wrote:
> > > Do you think Bram would be open to changing the `:f` vim
> > > default?
> >
> > I'm pretty certain that it wouldn't be entertained
>
> I agree with Tim on this, plus I'll add that I never use :find.
> For simple projects, everything is in the current directory. For
> projects with more complicated directory structures, I use tags.

I'll add

:vimgrep /pattern/ **/*.py

to my list of tools that I reach for before :find (most of my code
being Python; adjust accordingly for your file-extension(s) of
choice).

It's fast, it works cross-platform (grepping across files &
directories on Win32 without add-on unix-like utilities is a mess),
and usually I am looking for something in particular, not just a
filename.

-tim


--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments: