Monday, March 24, 2014

Re: Poll: What's good about plugin managers?

On Sunday, March 23, 2014 10:34:19 AM UTC-5, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> At some point Vim started supporting plugins. At that time it was fine
>
> to add a plugin manually, it was a one-time thing. But now that there
>
> are so many plugins and they get updated often, manually updating
>
> plugins has become tedious.
>
>
>
> I am wondering what Vim users like about plugin managers.
>
> Is there one that works best, that everybody should use?
>
> Are there still features that no existing plugin manager offers?
>
>
>
> Vundle appears to be popular, someone mentioned it's better than
>
> Pathogen. So nobody is using Pathogen?
>
>
>
> But then there is also NeoBundle. But not everybody has git installed
>
> and it depends on that.
>
>
>
> And there also is vim-addon-manager. And Vimball.
>
>
>
> Is it fine to have a choice of plugin managers, or is this causing a
>
> headache (for users and/or for plugin writers). If yes, then we should
>
> pick one plugin manager and retire the others.
>
>

I think simple and easy runtime path management like Pathogen offers would be a great addition to Vim and would not be very controversial. I understand that all the other plugin managers build on top of something like this to allow easier install/remove utilities. Nevertheless, any sort of auto-update mechanism will depend on 3rd-party tools (wget, git, Hg, whatever) and will prove more controversial. Get Latest Vim Script always seemed good in concept for me, but not worth the trouble to try because I'm missing wget running on Windows. Vundle and the rest take too much config for my tastes to get them to update when I want from what source I want. I want the flexibility to install updates when I feel like it, from either released versions or cutting-edge repository archives, or whatever, and to be able to change my mind every time if I want to. Changing my .vimrc every time to get that to happen would be annoying.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: