Monday, July 25, 2016

Re: Changing the defaults with Vim 8

On Monday, July 25, 2016 at 8:02:21 AM UTC-5, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 11:00 AM, <romainlafourcade@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Ideally, starting the program as 'vim' would automatically give the user the improvements promised in the name. And 'vi' would hide all those improvements.
> >
> > Here is my list of options to set when run as 'vim':
> [...]
> > set hidden
> >
> > Because 'nohidden' is too inflexible and 'hidden' would prevent new users from using tab pages as file proxies.
> [...]
>
> I disagree.
> When I :quit a file, or otherwise |abandon| it, I want it to be quit,
> not to remain there in-memory-but-not-saved. I use 'autowriteall' to
> save it _to disk_ if possible, but I don't pretend that everyone will
> want that setting. And if I want my changes to be lost (which happens,
> but rarely) I explicitly use :q! instead of :q when quitting the file.
>
> If _you_ want to use 'hidden', then set it in your vimrc, but don't
> force every people who don't want it to explicitly ":set nohidden" in
> _their_ vimrc.

I agree with Tony, 'hidden' is not actually very friendly to new users.

And, I don't see how it's going to prevent anyone from using tab pages as file proxies.

If one were to change anything for ease-of-use for new users, it wouldn't be 'hidden', it would be 'confirm', so that Vim becomes consistent with many other programs which don't just refuse to quit when you have unsaved changes, they instead ask you whether you want to save first.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: