Monday, July 25, 2016

Re: Changing the defaults with Vim 8

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 11:00 AM, <romainlafourcade@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ideally, starting the program as 'vim' would automatically give the user the improvements promised in the name. And 'vi' would hide all those improvements.
>
> Here is my list of options to set when run as 'vim':
[...]
> set hidden
>
> Because 'nohidden' is too inflexible and 'hidden' would prevent new users from using tab pages as file proxies.
[...]

I disagree.
When I :quit a file, or otherwise |abandon| it, I want it to be quit,
not to remain there in-memory-but-not-saved. I use 'autowriteall' to
save it _to disk_ if possible, but I don't pretend that everyone will
want that setting. And if I want my changes to be lost (which happens,
but rarely) I explicitly use :q! instead of :q when quitting the file.

If _you_ want to use 'hidden', then set it in your vimrc, but don't
force every people who don't want it to explicitly ":set nohidden" in
_their_ vimrc. When I first became a serious Vim user, I went through
all the options and added vimrc lines for those where I wanted a
nondefault value (or to be precise, a different value than what the
vimrc_example.vim sets, since it sets most, but not all, of my
preferred settings and I source it in my vimrc); I definitely did not
add :set lines for _all_ of those whose defaults where the values I
preferred; reading your post makes me thing maybe I should have after
all.


Best regards,
Tony.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: