Monday, July 25, 2016

Re: Changing the defaults with Vim 8

On 2016-07-26, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 12:10 AM, Tumbler Terrall
> <kingdombound13@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Monday, July 25, 2016 at 3:11:11 PM UTC-5, Christian Brabandt wrote:
> >> Hi Bram!
> >>
> >> On So, 24 Jul 2016, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> >>
> >> > > please no hlsearch. That is most often annoying.
> >> >
> >> > Well, I find it useful. But I suppose that's more a personal
> >> > preference.
> >>
> >> perhaps, if we made ctrl-l clear the search highlighting by default?
> >
> > I personally like the idea of turning on hlsearch by default, but +1 to
> > the idea of also making ctrl-l clear the hl.
> >
> > ~Tumbler Terrall
> >
>
> 'incsearch' and 'hlsearch' are part of the settings set by the
> vimrc_example.vim, and I like them. Clearing the highlight whenever I
> repaint the screen? Hm, I'm not convinced. I dont like the idea of
> having Ctrl-L serve as both ":redraw" and ":nohls" which are totally
> unrelated in my mind. I prefer the latest search highlight to remain
> highlighted regardless of possible screen repaints, until or unless I
> explicitly turn it off with either ":nohls" or ":let @/ = ''" (i.e.,
> in case your email reader doesn't clearly display quotation marks,
> make the search register an empty string).

The only time I use Ctrl-L is when something has messed up my
display and I want to redraw it. I just want it redrawn exactly as
it was, including any search highlights. If you want to have Ctrl-L
also execute :nohls, create a mapping.

Regards,
Gary

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: