Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Interloper vi

Hello,

On Ubuntu 16.04, downloaded sources from github, and executed

cd vim
./configure --prefix=/lhome/me/tools
cd src
make
make install

ls /lhome/me/tools/bin does not show any vi. So executed

cd /lhome/me/tools/bin
ln -s /lhome/me/tools/bin/vim vi

$ which vi
/lhome/me/tools/bin/vi

$ ll /lhome/me/tools/bin/vi
lrwxrwxrwx 1 hidden hidden 3 Jul 31 19:01 /lhome/me/tools/bin/vi ->
/lhome/me/tools/bin/vim*

vim --version does show the expected version.
However, vi --version shows some old version!

Why is the old vi being executed even though `which vi` shows the newer
one? And how to get vi to execute the newly installed vim?

$ ll /usr/bin/vi
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Jun 16 2017 /usr/bin/vi ->
/etc/alternatives/vi*

$ ll /etc/alternatives/vi
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Jun 21 2017 /etc/alternatives/vi ->
/usr/bin/vim.gtk3*

Thanks,

--Suresh

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: