Monday, July 23, 2018

Re: yank and put not vmapping in debian stretch

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 4:42 AM, tom arnall <kloro2006@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tony,
>
> Here is (I hope) the presentation which you have requested.
>
> Here is output of 'version':
>
> :version
> VIM - Vi IMproved 8.0 (2016 Sep 12, compiled Sep 30 2017 18:21:38)
> Included patches: 1-197, 322, 377-378, 550, 703, 706-707
> Modified by pkg-vim-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org
> Compiled by pkg-vim-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org
> Huge version without GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):

As you can see, this Vim executable was compiled almost ten months
ago. Since then, Vim 8.0 went up to patchlevel 1850, Vim 8.1 was
released on 18 May 2018, and its patch level is (as of this writing)
at 209 (and counting). I've tried to reproduce your problem with a Big
build of Vim 8.1.209 on 64-bit openSUSE Linux 15.0 but I couldn't;
you'll see below the tests I did and what happened to me.

One possibility, unlikely as it may seem, is that the problem you got
might be due to the changes from Bram Moolenaar's original sources,
summarized by «Modified by
pkg-vim-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org». Another possibility is
that the problem was fixed, either in one of the 1352 patchlevels
published after the source for your Vim was downloaded, or maybe even
in one or more of Vim 8.0 patches 198-321, 379-549, 551-702, 704-705,
(a total of 449 of 707 patches, or 63.5% — almost two-thirds) which
the Debian maintainers did not apply to their source even though they
were available to them when they downloaded it.

I build my Vim executables myself using Bram's original sources, and I
apply all patches, though if they are Windows-only patches ot
tests-only patches I don't build a binary until a patch comes along
which looks relevant to me. I've written up how I do it and uploaded
it online at:
https://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_the_Vim_source_with_Mercurial
http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm
I'm told that other people have since then uploaded simplified HowTo
pages for the more common usecases, but I tried to be complete and the
above two llinks are the result.

Could you please compile "your own Vim 8.1" from the latest sources
and tell us if the problem happens again?

Now here are the results of my tests (on a Vim whose first lines of
the ":version" output are further down). I followed your "steps to
reproduce".

After step 7, I saw --VISUAL-- go away near bottom left of my Vim
screen. After step 10, there was a second line identical to the first
one.

So I did it again, neutralizing my vimrc, by invoking Vim as: vim --clean
Then I noticed that I had been typing <C-I> in capitals when defining
the mapping, so I closed Vim down and restarted it, this time defining
the mapping with a {lhs} in all lowercase.

In all cases I got the same result: I am unable to reproduce your problem.

I was doing all this in a konsole terminal, so I hit Ctrl-Alt-F2 and
did it again in the text-only Linux console. Same result as above, so
I came back with Ctrl-Alt-F7.

Here is how my Vim version identifies itself:

VIM - Vi IMproved 8.1 (2018 May 18, compiled Jul 24 2018 05:49:23)
Included patches: 1-209
Compiled by antoine.mechelynck@gmail.com
Big version with GTK2 GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):

>
> Here is my procedure for mapping "+y:
>
> 1. enter ':vmap <c-i> "+y<cr>' (to map the visual mode yank)
>
> 2. in blank screen, hit 'i' key (for insert mode)
>
> 3. enter 'now is the time<cr>'.
>
> 4. hit <esc> key
>
> 5. hit 'v' key (for visual mode)
>
> 6. hit 'k' key to select the text
>
> 7. do <c-i> ( actual result is that editor stays in visual mode;
> expected that it would return to normal mode)
>
> 8. hit 'v' key to exit visual mode
>
> 9. hit 'j' key to move to next line
>
> 10. hit 'p' key to put the selected text (actual result is no change;
> expected that editor would put 'now is the time' in the document)
>
> Thanks again for your help,
>
> Tom Arnall
>
>
>
> On 7/22/18, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 3:40 AM, tom arnall <kloro2006@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> i can't get yank or put to map to a kb shortcut in visual mode. i'm
>>> running debian stretch.
>>
>> This problem description is so vague that I can't even begin to try to
>> reproduce it. Please include the following:
>>
>> 1. Which Vim version, patchlevel, and featureset? (Please paste the
>> first lines of the output of the :version command, up to and including
>> the one which ends in "Features included (+) or not (-)"). How to get
>> that into a file or into the clipboard is explained at ":help :redir".
>>
>> 2. Please describe in detail what you do (as a "recipe": 1. do this,
>> 2. do that) using clear and simple language, so that even someone only
>> half-proficient in English can understand it.
>>
>> 3. At the end, or after the important steps of the procedure at 2
>> above, please say what you see ("Actual result") and what you expected
>> ("Expected result").
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Tony.
>>
>> --
>> --
>> You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
>> Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
>> For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
>>
>> ---
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
>> "vim_use" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
>> email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>>
>
> --
> --
> You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
> Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
> For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: