Monday, July 30, 2018

Re: how to match the first pattern

On Monday, July 30, 2018 at 8:13:26 PM UTC+8, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 1:55 PM, Chr. von Stuckrad
> <stucki@mi.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> > On Mon, 30 Jul 2018, Sand Glass wrote:
> >
> >> On Saturday, July 28, 2018 at 3:18:23 PM UTC+8, Sand Glass wrote:
> >> > how can I stop the pattern at the first "]"?
> >> It's good in vim. Then I try to use the regular in perl script, but failed.
> >
> > Same 'thing', i.e. the shortest match, so (in linux 'man perlre')
> > as far as I remember a '?' behind the '*' makes it 'non-greedy'
> > and this \[.*?\] gives 'the next closing ']' .
> >
> > Stucki
>
> Ah yes, there are several regular-expression "dialects", often quite
> similar but not always strictly identical, and depending on whether
> you are using grep (which has two: "normal" and "extended"), Vim
> (which has four: "very nomagic", "nomagic", "magic" and "very magic"),
> perl, less, etc. you need to always use just the precisely right
> dialect for whichever RE engine will be interpreting it.
>
> Best regards,
> Tony.

I use some simple regular expression in 'windows search', 'notepad++ search', 'ultraedit search', 'visual studio ENV'. The regular expression is so precisely that I cannot remember all of them. So each time when I using RE in a programming language(c/cpp) or a tool, I will try and try again, until the result is I want.
Before I post this topic, I only try '*', '.', '+', '?' for RE matching. After I post the topic, I learned the '{n,m}', '-'. Thanks a lot.
By the way, find a help doc is another way. This is the perl RE online doc:
http://perldoc.perl.org/perlretut.html#Matching-repetitions

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: