Thursday, July 29, 2010

Editing files full of NUL characters

I've used (g)vim for many years, but don't often exercise its
more exotic functions. I work on a Windcows PC, but lately I find
myself wanting to edit files from other sources, like the iPhone.

Often, the files look like they ought to be text files but are
full of NULs. Instead of "Hello", I will see "H^@e^@l^@l^@o^@".
Or maybe it's "^@H^@e^@l^@l^@o". I haven't figured out the byte
order.

Is there a way to edit these files in gvim such that the ^@'s
don't appear onscreen but get written properly when I write the
files back?

Thanks,
- Bob

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: