Friday, July 30, 2010

need help with tags

Hi,

I'm running version 7.2.245 on an Ubuntu server.

I've been a vi user since the 1980's and use the tags feature
extensively.

My coworker cannot get tags to work in vim. Any tag he tries returns:

E426: tag not found: <subroutine name here>

I can reproduce this by logging in as a different user than myself.
Something
is magical about my environment that allows tags to work for me but no
one
else.

The conditions are:

I'm "in" the directory where the source is, as well as where the tags
file is.

The tags file is 644, read by world.

The source files are 644, read by world.

How can I debug what the problem is?

Why can't vim find the tag even though it's right there in the tags
file?

How can I ask vim what it's "path" is for finding the tags file? I
can't find that in the help.
:set all doesn't show anything like a list of locations to search for
tags.
If I set verbose to 99, I see vim trying all kinds of stupid places
for the tags file,
except the current directory.

I do not have a .vimrc or .exrc, just this in my .profile:

EXINIT="set ai sm magic ic sw=4 cedit= export EXINIT

Thanks,
Bill Dudley

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: