Monday, March 26, 2012

Re: Bash's vi command line editing mode

Hi Christian,
   For some reason :q! doesn't work for me. I tried the :cq that Gary & Taylor suggested, and it 
worked perfectly.
   It looks like I can also delete the lines, then save the buffer with :wq and that works too.  
You're right-it looks like bash just executes the file with the timestamp changes, so if I 
save a blank file, then nothing happens.
   There's a lot you can do on the command line with "set -o vi", 
but sometimes it's nice to just be able to go into vim and be able to edit there, using
buffers, etc. 
   For now, I think I'll stick with :cq. Thanks for the advice everybody!

-Ven
    
On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 12:16 PM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@256bit.org> wrote:
Hi Ven!

On Fr, 23 Mär 2012, Ven Tadipatri wrote:

> Hi,
>    This may sound like a real newbie question, but when I do the "set -o
> vi"
> in the bash command line shell, if I hit <Esc> and v on the command line,
> it goes into vi editing mode. This is kind of cool, as I can exercise
> the full editing power of vi, and when I exit the editor it runs the
> command.
>   Unfortunately, sometimes I may have a really
> powerful/dangerous/unnecessary
> command that I've typed, and all I want to do is just cancel, not execute
> the
> command. How do I do this?
>   :q! doesn't seem to work, as the command still runs. :wq , well, I don't
> want
> to save anything, I just want to get out of the editor and return to the

Actually, :q! should work and always did for me.
I would guess, that bash only executes the file, if it's timestamp has
been changed. May be some plugin that sets an WriteCmd autocmd or
something?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Christian
--
Wie man sein Kind nicht nennen sollte:
 Don Erstag



--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: