Monday, March 5, 2012

Re: Textpad to GVIM

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 18:18, Govind <i.am.anand@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been a longtime user of Textpad on windows and transitioning more to
> Linux.  Gedit by itself doesn't have some features I want like
> a) Columnar mode selection
> b) ability to sort lines
> c) Word Wrap (at least nothing that jumped out)
>
> I was told that GVIM is pretty good in terms of being able to do stuff, so I
> want to get started using it.  What are my next steps (I've installed it, of
> course).
>

If you don't already know, you should be forewarned. GVIM is not a
drop-in replacement for Textpad. GVIM has a very steep learning curve
and you will question how anyone could ever use such a monstrosity
many times when you first start using it. GVIM is more of a paradigm
than a text editor.

That said, after a few weeks of using GVIM you will wonder how you
ever did without it. I would say that VIM is my single favourite piece
of software, I find it absolutely amazing and even fun to use. Just
using VIM is a challenge and an adventure in itself! Seriously, it is
a text editor but more than that you will find that one does not
simply "use VIM" but rather one "becomes a VIM user". That reminds me:
there are only two industries in which the customer is referred to as
a "user"!

TL;DR: You will find GVIM frustrating at first, and you will hate it.
Once you get over that step, you will fall in love with it. Just stick
out those first few weeks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: