Sunday, April 22, 2012

Re: gvim auto copy selected text to clipboard

On 15:26 Sat 21 Apr , Gary Johnson wrote:
> On 2012-04-21, Sergey Vakulenko wrote:
> > >Normally the selection register is pasted with a middle-click of the mouse, not with CTRL-V. 'clipboard' containing autoselect should allow
> > >this. I have no idea whether it is possible to paste the selection with CTRL-V, but I don't think it is Vim which controls this.
> >
> > Im not use mouse for copy paste. Also, i used this feature (copy on
> > select) on Win XP 4 years. I cant understand how i cant do the same in
> > Ubuntu.
>
> Windows and X use different models for sharing a "clipboard" between
> applications. There is only only Windows clipboard but there are
> two X mechanisms: the selection and the clipboard. See :help
> x11-selection" for more on this. This can be confusing because when
> you "copy" in X, sometimes the copied text goes to the selection and
> sometimes it goes to the clipboard. Similarly, pasting may use
> either of these as the source. I'm sure it actually works very
> consistently, but I've never completely understood it.
>
> Here's what I have in my ~/.vimrc:
>
> if has("clipboard")
> set clipboard^=unnamed " The "exclude:" entry, which is present by
> " by default, must be last. Therefore, put
> " "unnamed" first.
> endif
>
> With that, I am able to easily yank and paste between applications
> including vim and gvim. However, to paste into another X
> application such as Firefox, I must use the mouse middle button.
> Ctrl-V seems to use the other selection mechanism.
>
> I tried changing "unnamed" to "unnamedplus" in the 'clipboard'
> setting and was able to use Ctrl-V for pasting in Firefox, but then
> was unable to use other mechanisms I was used to for copying and
> pasting, so I went back to "unnamed". I didn't investigate the
> behaviors thoroughly.

If you add both of them (i.e. unnamed and unnamedplus) you will get what you
want as I already pointed.

Best regards,
Marcin

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: