Monday, December 2, 2013

Re: slow network: netrw slow even on local HD

Paul wrote:
> On Monday, December 2, 2013 11:30:16 AM UTC-5, Ben Fritz wrote:
>> On Monday, December 2, 2013 10:14:45 AM UTC-6, Paul wrote:
>>> I have a very slow network connection, so accessing letter drives
>>> are painful. For that reason, I work off the local HD as much as
>>> possible, then painfully synchronize my HD content with my network
>>> drive when I feel it is unwise to put it off.
>>>
>>> One problem that puzzles me is that netrw is slow even accessing
>>> folders in my HD. Is the cause well known, and is there any
>>> low-effort way to prevent this? I am in a locked down environment,
>>> so I'm limited to older versions of vim and netrw:
>>>
>>> VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Oct 27 2010
>>> 17:59:02) MS-Windows 32-bit GUI version with OLE support
>>> Included patches: 1-46
>>>
>>> netrw v140
>> I know the listing style (:help g:netrw_liststyle) can affect
>> browsing speed.
>>
>> Besides that, unless you are unable to write changes to your user
>> HOME directory, you are certainly NOT limited to upgrading netrw.
>> Are you able to write your own Vim config files? If so, you can
>> install Vim plugins, meaning you are perfectly able to upgrade
>> netrw.
> Thanks, I just looked it up. netrw_liststyle corresponds to pressing "i" to change the listing style. It's still odd that this should matter when looking at the local HD. So I'm wondering if netrw queries all letter drives at a top level, or causes Windows 7 to do this. Using "i" to change the liststyle seems to be quick on some styles, but this isn't all that repeatable i.e., a style that is fast one time isn't always fast.
>
> It's strange but I found that neither netrw_liststyle nor g:netrw_liststyle changes when I press "i". Letting netrw_liststyle or g:netrw_liststyle doesn't affect the listing style either, even if I update the list withe ":e".
Things that affect this: g:netrw_liststyle is intended to be used in
your .vimrc. Different netrw buffers can use different liststyles.
Multiple windows can be looking at the same netrw buffer. Netrw buffers
are hidden; this is done primarily because updating remote buffers can
be both slow and annoying if password re-entry is needed; hence, asking
netrw to show a buffer often means that netrw will dredge up that buffer
from where its hiding (see :he g:netrw_fastbrowse on this).
>
> With regards to upgrading plugins, I've been down this path a number of times in the past, and invariably, the new netrw requires a more recent version of vim.
The latest netrw needs vim 7.3.465 (ie. 7.4 is fine).
>
> In case this sheds any light on the problem, "q:" to bring up the command history also incurs a multi-second delay.
>
> Oops. Found the problem. Needed to remove a network letter drive from my rtp. Hope this helps someone...
>
Regards,
C Campbell

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments: