Saturday, November 27, 2010

Re: Emacs' Org-mode clone for Vim

On Nov 27, 2:53 am, Marko Mahnič <marko.mah...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've installed it (version 0.11 from vim.org) to see how it integrates
> with my Linux Vim setup (7.3), without the patch from contrib:
>    gvim org_mode.org
>    :set ft=org
> When I pressed Tab, I got an error and had to press Ctrl-C for vim to
> continue. This printed an additional error: E490: No fold found.
> Cycling through folds seems to be broken. Then I tried to use my
> script VxFold (http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3004)
>    :VxFoldOrg
> with which fold-cycling work. It is a more generic solution which
> works with many different markup styles. You are welcome
> to use the code from it if you wish.

Marko -- I think the TAB problem is a bug introduced by a recent
change that goes into an infinite loop for headings that have no text,
followed immediately by another heading. This will be fixed today.


>
> One thing I didn't like is that global settings were changed by the
> plugin (like noswapfile, guioptions, list, listchars, ...). These
> should be
> left to the user. If you really have to change them, please apply them
> when entering an org buffer and restore them after leaving the buffer.
>
> Excellent work! Can't wait to see more.
>

Thanks, yes, as others have said in the thread I have done zero work
with making the plugin play friendly with user's setups, keeping
proper limited scope for all functions and vars, even for global items
I haven't always taken care to give them names not lkely to conflict
with other globals. This is first plugin I've written and it was
written for my own use. I should have had all those issues in mind
and just used good codign practices as I developed it. Unfortunately,
I didn't. All of this stuff is on the list to do in the near future.

I apologize to anyone who feels like they were misled by my posting
and wasted their time. If some people are interested in its current
state (and many do seem to be, which is why I posted it at all), then
great. If not interested in an unfinished plugin, but with some
interest, check back in a month or two.

Regards,

Herb

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: