Monday, November 29, 2010

Re: major confusion on vim folding behavior I'm seeing


On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 3:21 AM, Benjamin R. Haskell <vim@benizi.com> wrote:
But, in order to do syntax-based folding, the syntax needs to be set up in the more-complicated, "region"-based way.  The XML highlighting is a great example of a well-written syntax that uses this method, IMO.

HTML mainly uses regions to provide the text formatting tricks that it adds (underlined <a> text, bolded <b> text, etc.).  My guess is that the main reason it doesn't work the same way the XML syntax does is that HTML, as an SGML application, doesn't require matched closing tags (so writing a grammar for it in terms of syntax regions can be quite complicated).
 
I'll keep trying to figure it out or maybe I'll just stick to KomodoEdit with the vim mode enabled. I have some large html files I have to deal with and having folding comes in handy.

I thought about trying this http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1397 but I didn't understand these instructions:

"when you have filetype indent on. Then create a ~/.vim/indent directory and for every link (copy) you made do
      echo "let b:did_indent = 1" > ~/.vim/indent/xml.vim"

 

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: