Sunday, November 28, 2010

Re: major confusion on vim folding behavior I'm seeing



On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 11:38 PM, Benjamin R. Haskell <vim@benizi.com> wrote:
 
Question: Ultimatley I want code folding in html files (and preferebly later haml/erb) should using foldmethod=sytnax work for any file that it recognizes the syntax?


Not universally, no.  In terms of handling things other than highlighting, the syntax files vary a bit in quality.  Similar to the way Wikipedia articles vary in quality, the best syntax files are the ones that either: 1) the most people care about, or 2) someone goes out of their way to improve.  Often the original author of the file might just be unaware of folding, so it gets omitted.

Since you mentioned it explicitly, the eruby filetype seems to lack folding.  I don't have any 'haml' files sitting around for testing (had some old Ruby on Rails stuff for .rhtml files), but its syntax file is by the same author, and also doesn't mention folding at all.

 

What about just regular ubiquitous html? I can't seem to get that to fold at all. I also figured out that for some reason I needed to add this to my .vimrc file to get even xml folding to work correctly:

let g:xml_syntax_folding=0

Do I need to do something similar for html files? (on a whim tried - with no luck - let g:html_syntax_folding=0)

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: