Thursday, May 26, 2011

Keyboard left in a strange mode after ZZ

I'm using Vim 7.3 7/20/2010 under Windows 7.

I usually start gvim from the command-line but sometimes from Windows Explorer.

After I start, do my work then use "ZZ" to save/exit, it leaves the keyboard in a strange state relating only to the window which was used to start gvim:

  before:  abc123
  after:  ABC!@#
  after (shift key):  ABC!@#
  after (caps lock):  abc!@#

There seem to be two ways to fix it...

  1. exit and restart the window
  2. in a bad window, re-start vim then type any command...even typing ":" and exiting the window with the mouse works.  Just starting it then closing the window doesn't fix it - something must be typed.

This doesn't happen with vim.
This doesn't happen with gvim if exited with :wq or :x.

I haven't noticed this behavior with any other application.

I've noticed several tips and messages relating to mapping caps lock to escape but I don't map default keys.

I'm hoping someone here has seen this before as its driving me nuts.  It is incredibly difficult to retrain myself to :wq or :x rather than ZZ.  I even tried mapping ZZ to :x and it still happens.

Thanks.

->Richard Guse

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: