Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Vim stuck in noremap mode?

Hi!

I've been experiencing something strange recently (the last few weeks), which I
can't remember ever happening before, so maybe is a newly introduced bug.

Every now and then, usually in a long-running Vim, Vim starts behaving a bit as if
'cp' is set, along with other oddities. Pressing Escape while editing a
commandline confirms it (rather than cancelling it), pressing Tab while editing a
commandline enters ^I rather than performing completion, the 'Press any key to
continue' prompt generally does not appear, e.g. if I do :set I cannot read the
output because the screen is immediately redrawn. I guess it's somewhat like the
mode in which Vim executes mappings--perhaps even noremap mappings--except that
it's being applied to all my user input. Yes...I just confirmed that mappings do
not work. Usually I have to press another key after Esc before insert mode
actually stops, and then that key that I pressed after Esc is often ignored; e.g.
if I do <Esc>j, I exit insert mode, but the cursor hasn't moved. But of course,
maybe it just hasn't been 'redrawn', I suppose.

I have changed a couple of my mappings recently (mostly adding Andy Wokula's n/N
maps), but I'm pretty sure this behaviour is wrong, and shouldn't happen even if
there's a silly mapping in the system.

So...three questions:

- Has anybody else experienced anything like this?
- Any ideas what might cause it?
- Any ideas how to get Vim to behave normally again without having to exit?

I'm running 7.3.162 at the moment mostly, but the Vim where I'm currently seeing
the problem is 7.3.138 (whose executable will now have been replaced by the
7.3.162 one, but I don't see how that could cause this particular problem on Mac
OS X, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't the case that I was running an old executable
last time this happened). I'll refrain from quitting this Vim for a while so if
anyone has any ideas, I can try them out while it's definitely broken.

Ben.


--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: