Friday, October 28, 2011

Re: how to make 'h,j,k,l' faster ?

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 11:19 AM, AK <andrei.avk@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/28/2011 02:05 PM, sc wrote:
>> On Friday, October 28, 2011 12:23:44 Tim Chase wrote:
>>> On 10/28/11 10:21, Ben Fritz wrote:
>>>> I find it very nice to set relative line numbers and use a
>>>> count with j/k for down/up movement.
>>
>>> I know about them head-wise, and you're right about it being
>>> easier than keying in the absolute line#, but it's a more
>>> recent feature of vim which hasn't yet made it to my
>>> muscle-memory (or more importantly, my vimrc :)
>>
>> i can't imagine why not -- it's the coolest new feature since
>> 'cursorline'
>
> I just want to comment that I also think it's the best new
> feature (since folding, from my perspective..)
>
> I wrote my own plugin that used sign column to show line
> numbers relative to top line, but it was a pain in the
> ass to have all mappings refresh the numbers when a line
> is inserted or deleted or screen is moved.
>
> If anyone's not using this, totally try it out!!!

I'm playing with relative line numbering for the first time. I
normally run with absolute line numbering.

You know what'd really make a difference for relative line numbering?
If the current line's number was its absolute line number, instead of
"0". Yes, I can see the absolute line number down in the ruler, but
that's often far removed from the current line and I have to move my
eyes down to the ruler, then back to the current line. "0" conveys
little information. The absolute line number is more useful. It should
be in a highlighted color to make it blatantly clear that it's
different.
--
/George V. Reilly  george@reilly.org  Twitter: @georgevreilly
http://www.georgevreilly.com/blog  http://blogs.cozi.com/tech

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: