Saturday, October 29, 2011

Re: Vim search with multiple windows open

> My Vim session usually have few vertical/horizantal windows
> open. Often I do a search within one window and since
> incsearch is set, screen scrolls down to first match and is
> highlighted. What I am looking for is to have all
> occurrences/matches within other windows highlighted as I type
> within active window. Please let me know if there is a way to
> do this.

I don't know of any way to get all windows to perform an
incsearch in the same way that happens in a single window. From
what I read at ":help 'scrollbind'", I suspect that it's not
something readily possible because each character not only has to
search the current buffer, but all other visible buffers, and it
will timeout after about 0.5sec to keep Vim responsive to your
typing (assuming it was built with +reltime).

However, once the search is completed, setting 'hls' should
highlight the match in all the windows. If the window-content is
similar, you can also try setting 'scrollbind', though that may
be tangential to your question.

-tim


--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: