Friday, January 30, 2015

Re: Any poets here?

> When I have to use TextEdit, I'm always typing in vim commands.

That is something that never happened to me ;-). Perhaps because my first
and initial editor was simply the editor program in MS-DOS, the thing that
QuickBasic also used.

Then when I went on to Turbo Pascal and Borland Pascal, that IDE was
basically the same with a different behaviour on deletes (of lines, I
believe) which I have never seen repeated, but which was easy to get used
to.

In the era of Windows 95 and so on, the same was repeated but vastly
standardized in the Windows system, using the Delphi IDE. There was
nothing weird about Delphi, the only remarkable thing or worth remembering
was a CTRL-Q or CTRL-K <mark> feature to mark places in the text to jump
back to, which I used a lot.

Only my jEdit often does things differently, but the 'windows' standard
is seen everywhere actually, in linux at least, but also in MacOS except
that page-down and so on works vastly differently or deviatingly.

The whole idea of using shift-modified and ctrl-modified arrow movements
to select text and move around is so intuitive to my mind, that I've never
had any issues with it whatsoever, and I don't think anyone else had
either, it is one of those things that are just perfect and don't need
improvement in any way, shape or form.

If I use arrow keys in vi insert mode, I immediately run into troubles.
Oops, that is vi behaviour, vim was not installed here by default
(dafuq?).

But it is a thing you sometimes encounter on remote systems.

LISTEN UP FOLKS. KUBUNTU DOES NOT BY DEFAULT INSTALL VIM :P.

Let's check Debian...

NEITHER :P.

:)

Kudos.


On Fri, 30 Jan 2015, Eric Weir wrote:

>> On Jan 30, 2015, at 3:49 PM, Tim Chase <vim@tim.thechases.com> wrote:
>>
>> But for merely editing text, whether code, prose, or poetry, I'd take
>> vim any day.
>
> I've never written an inch of code, but vim is by far my preferred
> editor. When I have to use TextEdit, I'm always typing in vim commands.
> Oh if they only had the same effect. QuickCursor used let me use vim as
> my preferred editor in other apps, e.g., in Apple Mail. Alas, the steps
> Apple took to improve security by isolating apps from one other rendered
> QuickCursor unusable. Oh how I wish that problem could be overcome.
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Eric Weir
> Decatur, GA USA
> eeweir@bellsouth.net
>
> "Imagining the other is a powerful antidote to fanaticism and hatred."
>
> - Amos Oz
>
> --
> --
> You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
> Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
> For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>

No comments: