Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Re: Gvim shows wrong color for highlight group color names on Ubuntu 14.04

On Mi, 21 Jan 2015, Christian Brabandt wrote:

> Am 2015-01-21 06:48, schrieb Jacky Liu:
> >On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 11:31:27 AM UTC+8, Jacky Liu wrote:
> >>Freshly installed Ubuntu 14.04 then built gvim 7.4 on it, I just
> >>discovered that the colors gvim picked were all wrong for the
> >>predefined color names, like the name "Green",See below:
> >>
> >>http://bluegene8210.is-programmer.com/user_files/bluegene8210/Image/Screenshot%20from%202015-01-21%2010:14:26.png
> >>
> >>Here I did
> >>
> >>:runtime syntax/colortest.vim
> >>
> >>within Gvim, then sampled the color using Gcolor2. For the color
> >>name "Green" I would expect the RGB value 0-255-0, but here I
> >>got 0-128-0. Below is the correct color on my last Ubuntu 12.04:
> >>
> >>http://bluegene8210.is-programmer.com/user_files/bluegene8210/Image/Screenshot%20from%202015-01-21%2010:42:02.png
> >>
> >>It's not just green color got messed with, likewise is many
> >>other colors.
> >>
> >>I tried building gvim using the same source I used on 12.04,
> >>where the color is right, but still no good.
> >>
> >>I also checked /etc/X11/rgb.txt, it looks ok, neither did
> >>
> >>:set background=dark
> >>
> >>in gvim seems have any effect.
> >>
> >>Recon my knowledge about the system level is very limited,
> >>please help, thanks.
> >
> >
> >Update: I did more research and found this relating document:
> >
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X11_color_names
> >
> >It seems Gvim is using W3C colors now, instead of original X11 colors.
> >The article also explains that W3C colors are also supported by new
> >X11 releases, where I suspect my case resides as I was moving from
> >Ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04.
> >
> >I could find some workaround to make my VimL code work as before, as
> >the color names clashing between the two standards aren't that many,
> >but I still believe Gvim should stick to X11 while W3C could be best
> >for browsers. As I can recall Gvim doesn't give a definitive list of
> >what color names can be used & what their definitions are, so this
> >could be an X11 issue. My knowledge hasn't been to the extent that
> >allows me to inspect the source code of Vim, but I plan to do a step
> >by step configuring before recompiling Vim to figure out what graphic
> >libraries Gvim rely on, and probably how to fix the problem.
>
> I can confirm the problem. Looks like colornames changed somewhat
> between
> those two versions. Does that happen with the motif gui or athena
> gui as well
> (check the vim-motif or vim-athena packages)?
>
> If this happens there as well, it indicates a bug with the X Server,
> else the bug is clearly in the gtk libraries (libgtk2.0-0).
> I would then create a bug at either package and see if some
> developer can
> give more insight to the problem.
>
> For any reason, the distributed rgb.txt file with Vim and also the
> one that
> is provided with the X Server do show the correct green value and do
> not show
> the X11/Web prefix names.
>
> So explicitly trying the Web/X11 prefix does not work (returns
> invalid color).

See screenshot. The window in the foreground is athena vim, in the
background is gtk vim. The colors should be the same.

Looks like a bug in the gtk libraries for me.

Best,
Christian
--
Zeit ist das, was man an der Uhr abliest.
-- Albert Einstein

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: