Saturday, January 31, 2015

Re: Oh no! Vim eats my text - Naughty Vim. [Was: Any poets here?]

Oh, by the way:

> and _practice_! ("Do, or do not; there is no try.")


That sentiment is mistaken. That concept is off, or wrong.

The idea of trying versus doing is age old, but it is not like that: it is
of trying versus succeeding.

It is fine to try a thing.

But what the quote really refers to is the sentiment of "I can try" or
"it is possible for us to try to achieve that".

You immediately notice the weirdness of that statement. If you think the
best you can do is try, but not really hoping to succeed, that closes down
the realm of possibility. If you are not clear of your success, or the
possibility of actually succeeding, you will abandon your attempt even
before having made the first step.

"I can try" -> "Do, or do not; there is no try" then becomes a bummer
statement making him feel bad.

Instead of answering "But you can succeed, right? You know you can." and
he goes "I guess" and the answer is "well, then do it." Go.

And if you want I'll be gone for at least several weeks, because I have
work to do. I guess I just wanted to break open the space of even being
allowed to discuss anything that could really be improved about Vi. Vim.

Which I guess is stupid, but hey, here I am.

Or perhaps not at all.

I don't think I am more than 5% present in the world at the moment.

In the sense of being able to show my real self.

Anyway. Apologies. But being my actual normal healthy self would result in
decapitation at the moment.

Cya.











>
> On 30.01.15 22:59, kouzennoki@gmail.com wrote:
>> Learning or reading documentation to do simple things is not exactly my
>> favourite pastime, eventually especially when you forget how to do a certain
>> thing again because it never quite makes it to muscle memory.
>
> The basic problem was already evident in the prior post. ;-)
>
> (Note: I keep a set of personal "help" notes, which over the years has
> accumulated to nearly 400 pages, though only 29 of them relate to vim.
> Vim's folding capability presents all 400 pages as one - the first level
> headings. But keyword searching takes me directly to what I want in
> seconds. Most doco describes "how" to do a thing - but initially we
> don't know "what" to look for. For my own use, I document "how" under
> "what" I'm trying to do, so the method is rapidly found later, even if
> it's years before I need it again.)
>
>> So Vim is for me 80% frustration and 80% delight, if such a thing were
>> possible :p.
>
> Not only possible, but understandable - yet entirely self-created by
> a learning laziness, as you show yourself at the first opportunity:
>
>> Even writing this email in Alpine (Pico) is just amazingly relaxing compared
>> to having to do such a thing in Vi. Arrow keys always do what they should, I
>> don't have to remember HJKL keys
>
> The arrow keys work fine in vim, and there is no need to use HJKL.
> If you have a terminal problem which miscodes those keys, so that they
> are not recognised by vim, then why do you not:
>
> a) Fix it in the terminal config, or
> b) Fix it in .vimrc, or
> c) Google for a fix, or
> d) Post a message for information, rather than just a moan.
>
> Vim is powerful, but does demand a learning commitment, because of
> that. If the failing mode awareness is due to ageing wetware (and
> therefore more difficult to overcome), then one of many useful vim
> configurations might help.
>
> In addition to displaying the mode on the status line:
>
> set showmode
>
> I change the cursor colour in insert mode:
>
> " Cursor Appearance: (Insert_Mode == Green, Normal_Mode == Red)
> if &term =~ "xterm"
> let &t_SI = "\<Esc>]12;green\x7"
> let &t_EI = "\<Esc>]12;red\x7"
> endif
>
> and if muscle memory prefers:
>
> " These days I expect to be out of insert mode, after a line change:
> inoremap <Up> ^[<Up>
> inoremap <Down> ^[<Down>
>
> If you can be more specific about the precise clumsiness you're using to
> defeat vim's undo, we can be more specific in the documentation we
> advise you to read, and the exercises which could improve your
> competence. (Then keep notes, so you do not forget.)
>
> All the best,
>
> Erik
> (Who uses only vim - every day - and cannot remember losing any text
> during an edit session, at least not in the last twenty years. (Some of
> that might have been vi, where the risk of losing a paragraph was greater.))
>
> --
> Women love to play the victim because it attracts three of the things they love
> the most: attention, sympathy and special treatment. Conversely, men who act
> like victims receive suspicion, ridicule and no sex, ever. - Mike J
>
> --
> --
> You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
> Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
> For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>

No comments: