Thursday, September 6, 2012

Re: Shelling out to cygwin bash from Windows vim

AndyHancock wrote:
> This problem dogged me for many years, and I finally hunkered down to
> chase it down.
>
> Here is the solution that I found works for me:
>
> "set shell=c:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe\ -i
> "Won't always find ~/.bashrc cuz depending on how vim is launched,
> "~ doesn't always resolve to c:/cygwin/home/$USERNAME
> "let &shell='c:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe\ --rcfile c:\cygwin\home\' .
> " \ $USERNAME . '\.bashrc'
> "Backslashes are hated by bash. Also needs -i to ensure bash is
> "interactive so that .bashrc is sourced
> let &shell='c:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --rcfile c:/cygwin/home/' .
> \ $USERNAME . '/.bashrc -i'
> " Depending on how vim is launched, c:/cygwin/home/$USERNAME
> " will sometimes be equivalent to ~. If so, then it will be
> " replaced by ~ in &shell.
>
> Thanks to all those who helped on the unix, bash, cygwin, and vim
> forums.
>
>
Wow... that looks complicated.

Why don't you just set
SHELL=C:/Bin/Bash.exe

I have my cygwin in C:/

In my system environment vars (controlpanel->system->
advanced system settings(system properties)->Advanced->
Environment variables->System Variables,
I have:

DISPLAY=:0
CYGWIN=nodosfilewarning winsymlinks export
PATH=C:\prog64\vim;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;C:\bin;[other
stuff]...
SHELL=C:/Bin/Bash.exe

Bash starts and runs it's RC vars, which pick up my home.. and
that runs my .bashrc.

One of the aliases I have in my bash startup files
for gvim is "setsid gvim"

That allows gvim to run in the background...

Would that work for you?

I let bash & cygwin figure out my userid and home ..



--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: