Sunday, September 30, 2012

Re: OT: The so called "steep learning curve" of vim...

I think I got that? I myself have found that any software that does to much for you give you less choice, the more it takes to learn the better the prize at the end (more control).

Yes?

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 8:37 AM, <meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:
Hi,

it is often said, taht certain software has a "steep learning curve".
Vi/vim is such an example for the use of this phrase...

I was thinking of this phrase and the graph I would draw if I had
to show an example for such a "steep learning curve"...

I would take the time as measure for the x-axis and the amount
of stuff I have learned about -- for example -- vim as a measure
for the y-axis..
Then I would draw that "steep learning curve" as an graph
which goes -- say -- from 0,0 to 5,30.

And watching this graph I would read it as
"Using vim give one a great amount of knowledge in a very short time."

So....why so many take this as a point of critic???

Using software which a needs a lot of time to learn
much lesser ... that is the problem I think...!

Or...what do I misinterpret here? ;)

Best regards,
mcc


--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php



--

Gerald Klein DBA

ContactMe@geraldklein.com

www.geraldklein.com

geraldklein.wordpress.com

jk@zognet.com

708-599-0352


Arch Awesome, Ranger & Vim the coding triple threat.

Linux registered user #548580 



--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: