Sunday, September 30, 2012

Re: why is it so difficult to start using vim (may be just for me).

On 11:33 Thu 27 Sep , David Ohlemacher wrote:
> Vim is easy to use, but not easy to learn.
>
> The trick for me, beyond the basics which I had known for eons, was to
> create my own cheat sheets. I use tomboy notes. I think it much less
> useful to download a cheat sheet. Making your own will start you on
> your way to remembering. I keep several, but do what makes sense for you:
>
> * vim command line options, plugins
> * folding, movement, editing
> * searching, regex, other
> * sessions, windows, buffers, tabs
>
> One does not really learn vim. Instead one trains one's finger to
> 'know', i.e. it is all muscle memory. I have been asked how to do
> something and found I was not been able to reply with the answer until I
> put my fingers on the keyboard.
>
> As my fingers learn the commands, I remove commands from my cheat sheet
> and add new ones. Go slow. Train your fingers with commands before
> adding too many. Six mo. ago, I added some of the folding commands. I
> was writing more in python and my old ways of navigating did not work
> with python's scoping. Now I LOVE syntax folding.
>
> But start with the tutor as other have said. I didn't do this for cheat
> sheets, but it might help you write your first ones.
>
> ** After the tutor, learn the structure of commands. This is excellent:
> http://blog.carbonfive.com/2011/10/17/vim-text-objects-the-definitive-guide/
>
> My latest command added?
>
> * :r !<cmd> // Saw this one on this list. Thanks list!
> o This runs the command and writes its output in your buffer.
> Very handy to get a svn diff into a window next to the file just
> diffed.
>
> -d
>
> --
> David Ohlemacher
> Principle Software Engineer
> Scientific Solutions Inc.
> 99 Perimeter Rd Nashua New Hampshire 03063
> 603-880-3784
>
> . o .
> . . o
> o o o
>
> --
> You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
> Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
> For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

I stumbled on this blog post:
http://robots.thoughtbot.com/post/13164810557/the-vim-learning-curve-is-a-myth

Best,
Marcin

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: