Sunday, September 30, 2012

Re: OT: The so called "steep learning curve" of vim...

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 09:37:34AM EDT, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:

> Hi,

> it is often said, taht certain software has a "steep learning curve".
> Vi/vim is such an example for the use of this phrase...
>
> I was thinking of this phrase and the graph I would draw if I had
> to show an example for such a "steep learning curve"...
>
> I would take the time as measure for the x-axis and the amount
> of stuff I have learned about -- for example -- vim as a measure
> for the y-axis..
> Then I would draw that "steep learning curve" as an graph
> which goes -- say -- from 0,0 to 5,30.
>
> And watching this graph I would read it as
> "Using vim give one a great amount of knowledge in a very short time."

Precisely...

The nice thing is that the minute s/o mentions a steep learning curve in
relation to Vim, I know exactly what I'm dealing with and that it's time
to switch back to Vim's help files.

> So....why so many take this as a point of critic???

See above.. or refer to the wikipedia article.. :-)

[..]

CJ

--
Have a nice day!

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: