Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Re: spam scripts on vim.org

Charles Campbell wrote:
>> I admit that I don't know how to do this, but perhaps the anti-spam
>> scheme for the mail-list (all new posters need to be approved by our
>>
> It was not about the mailinglist, but about strange image files found at
> www.vim.org.
> Spam at mailinglist? You can't approve, because you can't be sure about
> the origin of emails (open relay problem).
> Thus It could be me abusing a different email sending using your email
> address.
>
> Thus for the ml case the only true way would be use good spam systems -
> or do it manually. There are 5000 hits a day on www.vim.org. We could
> show the message and ask visitors to tell whether it looks like spam :)
> (funny idea - how well it would work - no idea) ..
>
> To proof my point I just wrote this message abusing your origin ..
>
> And this is why you should never trust email content
>
Um, that isn't what I said, or at least not what I intended to say. So,
I'll break it down a bit:

* as I understand, currently we have moderators for our mailing list
* these moderators approve of new posters to the mailing list
* new posters have to wait before their postings get relayed to the
mailing list
* we don't have a similar setup for new script postings to www.vim.org
* instead, we have after-the-fact inspection of postings, even from new
posters, to www.vim.org
* proposal: to have "moderators" approve of new www.vim.org posters's
offerings, and, like with the mailing list, usual access to www.vim.org
after such approval is granted

(I can't return the favor to post this as if it were from you because
GSFC's outgoing system won't let me :|, unless I were to do it while at
home, and I'm busy tonight)

Regards,
Chip Campbell

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: