Sunday, September 30, 2012

Re: Change colour of cursor and matching bracket

Dominique Pelle wrote:

> Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>
> > Erik Christiansen wrote:
> >
> >> On 30.09.12 11:12, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> >> > Where in the fine manual is it mentioned how to change the colour of
> >> > the cursor and the colour of the matching parenthesis / bracket for
> >> > all file types? I have tried ":h cursor color" and several other
> >> > phrases, the only relevant one that I found it "h color" which did not
> >> > lead me to the answer. I have tried "highlight MatchParen cterm=bold
> >> > ctermfg=red ctermbg=blue" but this did not change the colour of the
> >> > matching parenthesis or bracket.
> >>
> >> For the cursor, I just set the initial colour in the xterm:
> >>
> >> col='-fg yellow -bg darkslategrey -cr red' # Colours
> >> /usr/bin/xterm $col # and lots more options.
> >>
> >> In Vim, I then only change the cursor colour to indicate whether we're
> >> in insert mode or not, without having to look down at the status bar:
> >>
> >> " Cursor Appearance: (Insert_Mode == Green, Normal_Mode == Red)
> >> if &term =~ "xterm"
> >> let &t_SI = "\<Esc>]12;green\x7"
> >> let &t_EI = "\<Esc>]12;red\x7"
> >> endif
> >>
> >> But the method could be used in other contexts, I guess.
> >>
> >> As regards MatchParen colouring, I've only made sure that is turned
> >> off, since it drove me nuts when I tried it. The bouncing cursor is more
> >> than enough.
> >
> > I also use a different cursor color for Insert mode. It's nice, but
> > recently it has started to cause terminal window flicker. I asked
> > Thomas Dickey and he blames Ubuntu Compiz. I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 and
> > an automatic update about a month ago started the problem. It first
> > happened after a reboot, one of the updates before that must have caused
> > it.
> >
> > Still don't know how to fix it. It gets a bit annoying. Searching for
> > Ubuntu screen flicker has many hits, but I haven't spotted the right one
> > yet.
>
>
> I also use different colors for the cursor in insert mode
> vs normal mode with xubuntu-12.04 (with all updates)
> and I have not noticed any flicker. Perhaps you can
> try whether installing xfce solves your flicker issue:
>
> 1/ sudo apt-get update
> 2/ sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
> 3/ Log out.
> 4/ Select xfce to login
>
> I remember having very slow refresh and flicker
> in vim a long time ago, and solved it at the time
> by installing the latest Nvidia driver.

I'm using ATI/AMD. I tried installing their proprietery driver.
Resulted in my desktop being 640 x 480 :-( Then running the
display manager to change the resulution has the OK button off-screen.
AAAaaaargggg! Managed to hit it by pressing Tab the right number of
times.

Well, the flicker is less, it's just so short now that it is hardly
noticeable. But the flicker is still there.

--
Sorry, no fortune today.

/// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@Moolenaar.net -- http://www.Moolenaar.net \\\
/// sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
\\\ an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org ///
\\\ help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org ///

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: